Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tagine 101

Tagine is one of Morocco's and North Africa's most famous dishes. The name refers to both the earthenware pot in which you cook and the dish that you are making...Explanation? Ok, you can say" I need to buy a tagine because I feel like making a tagine!" So there, it means both, the pot and its content.

Why cook in a pot made out of clay when you have stainless steel and non stick pots? Easy answer: Flavor! and lots of it...I am a big fan of this cooking method which uses a minimum of water (thanks to the cone shaped cover that trapps moisture in) and gives you a kind of stew (It hurts to call it stew because it's not) with very earthy flavors . My mom is the best tagine maker and I learned a thing or two from her. Below is part of my tagine collection; some of them are just for serving (The decorative ones) and some are for cooking. Now all these hang around my kitchen and look pretty until I decide that it's time to put the stainless steel away and get some clay out!!




I will follow by detailed step by step directions on how to cook a basic tagine but I thought it's necessary to have this post as a little introduction. You can buy your own tagine on line or become really good friends with me and I'll see what I can do LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment