Saturday, February 25, 2012

Moroccan style chicken with potatoes

Contrary to common belief moroccan food is not spicy, it's rather well seasoned when prepared the right way.
This dish is a very good example of that; it's well seasoned without being overwhelming. I cook it in a pressure cooker to save time but it can be prepared in a regular covered pot.

The directions are going to be a little long but that's because I am trying to go into more details when explaining this dish and giving lots of tips.


Directions:

Cut your chicken into 4 quarters or if you bought it already cut up just wash it.

Tip 1: I have a special way for cleaning chicken that I learned from my mom (doesn't apply to skinless chicken) If you've ever smelled a raw chicken you've probably noticed that it doesn't smell great (especially the skin) so to get rid of that smell (this improves the overall taste) I first wash it under running water and then put it in a container and pour some lemon juice over it, I rub the lemon juice all over it and then I sprinkle it with salt and rub it in circular motions (think exfoliating massage for chicken LOL) rinse the chicken thoroughly under running water and now you're ready to cook it.

In a big bowl, mix some chopped fresh cilantro (about 2 big tbsp for one chicken) add 2 minced garlic cloves, paprika, salt, pepper, half a bouillon cube (I use Knorr brand), 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger and 3 tbsp olive oil add the chicken to this mixture and rub it very well. You can keep it in the fridge overnight to soak up the marinade or cook it right away.

Tip 2: Fresh ginger gets spoiled within a few days of purchase and if you don't use it in too many recipes, you will find that most of it will end up in the trash. When I buy my ginger I wash it, cut it in pieces of about 2 inches, put it in a ziploc bag and keep it in the freezer. All I have to do is get it out and grate it on the cheese grater while still frozen.

Heat your pot and add the chicken and marinade to it, let the chicken brown lightly on all sides while making sure that you don't burn your marinade so you need to use your wooden spatula to stir the bottom of the pot. Add 2 medium oninons cut in thin slices and allow them to wilt while you stir from time to time (keep the pot uncovered up to this point) you can add 1/2 a preserved lemon and some olives if you like (I do) and water (depending on quantity and cooking vessel) cover and cook until chicken is tender.

Tip 3: Preserved lemons can not be replaced by regular lemons (too bitter) these are a very moroccan ingredient that is commonly used with chicken but can also be used with meat dishes. I don't make my own I just ask anyone who's going to Morocco or coming to visit to bring me a jar as a gift (I wait for them to ask me what I want them to bring me back of course) they give this very speicial flavor to chicken but your dish will still taste delicious even if they're not used.


I steam my potatoes in the steaming basket that comes with my pressure cooker while the chicken is cooking and just take them out about 15 minutes into the cooking (potatoes cook a lot faster than chicken).

Tip 4: You can cook your potatoes in the sauce; this is actually the common way of making this dish. Add your potatoes when you see that the chicken is half way done and let them finish cooking together.

Uncover to reduce the sauce.

Serve your moroccan meal with some bread for soaking up the sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment